ABC's of ME Art Journal 2009 'A'

*Also published on TallyScrapper.com.
Welcome to the FIRST Year in the Life of an Art Journal Prompt for 2009!! This year, we'll have two prompts every month, on the first and third Mondays of every month. We'll be creating an alphabetical Art Journal this year, so we'll end up with 26 pages. Your journal pages can be any size you'd like. Most if not all of my prompts will be created on playing cards, in ATC or Artist Trading Card size. I want you to have pretty free creative freedom to make your art journal yours, so remember that when you are reading the prompts.
Your first Prompt is
ACTION
There is a saying I love that says, "Good intentions are MEANINGLESS without ACTION." I love this saying because it can be applied to so many areas of my life. This year, in the spirit of positive action, create your first journal page. Use the word ACTION, (or a version of the word) and create a page for yourself to remind yourself of the ACTION that good intentions require.
Here in the front and back of my journal page.


Techniques if you're interested:
For this card, I used my CuttleBug to make the texture on the white canvas cardstock before I glued it to the back of my playing card. Then I WAS going to draw circles in black pen on a few of the circles, but when I did that, I HATED the way it looked, so I colored into the circles with watercolor colored pencils, and then filled them with water. I like the droplet look much better, and I even ended up liking the way that a few of the original circles kind of show through. I used a pencil to lightly draw some shadow around the E of ME so that it could be seen, and still be shadow like. I left the ME in white, because I wanted to put a visual emphasis on the "seeking" of me...
Have fun with your OWN projects!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!! Be sure to leave us a link in the comments below, so that we can all visit your project and love it too!!
~rachel

All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel unless otherwise specified. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

  1. Ooh this is going to be one wicked cool year. I love your watercolor technique, I'll be trying that soon. So, umm.. I need a cuttlebug, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yea... i'm soooo excited for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, i love the look of that textured side with the watercolor! COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you are up and running! this is a gorgeous technique...great word, can't wait to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lovin' it already Ho.....I can't wait to get mine started :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited about this adventure!
    Awesome prompt to get us started!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm finished with my ACTION card, here is the link:

    http://heididilley.blogspot.com/2009/01/is-for-action.html

    Thanks for a great prompt to start us off, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why haven't I dabbled more with ATC size before? It's so FUN! Thanks for the prompts Rachel!!

    Action

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow I think this is just what I need to do for just me. Heidi I love your card and the story behind the inspiration for it. I am off to do action on this one. thanks LauraJean for posting this to my attention in the boards.

    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. great first challenge Rachel. I am finished mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm super excited to try this especially since it's atc size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous prompt, girlfriend! LOVE what you did....the subtle "me" is PERFECT! I dusted off my art journal and created for this challenge today...you can find it HERE!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completed mine! it's over at Tally and I'm off to post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really love this idea, love your example too.
    Ive decided to do mine in an art journal book i already had rather than mini cards.
    Have uploaded into my flickr acct here
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/3180726633_4e8c2cdde2_o.jpg

    will be on my blog later

    http://lifeinsegments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://gumby85luv2scrap.blogspot.com/

    here is a link to mine. tfl

    ReplyDelete
  16. have done mine for this week it is on my blog have had great fun getting back to playing with palying cards
    http://dottysabcofme2009.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here is my action art journal page...even though this is my first time doing an art journal, I am loving it:)
    http://jessiscorner.blogspot.com/2009/01/action-art-journal-page.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun,Fun,Fun! Did mine yesterday and posted on my blog today. Don't know how to make it an actual link, but here's the address to copy/paste

    http://mathteachermusings.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-design-team-dare-posted.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. here is mine

    http://www.tallyscrapper.com/scrapbook_gallery_view.php?layout_id=43985&view_page=1

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is Awesome!!! Thanks to Bree for posting this on her blog!!

    I thought this was a great idea and here's my take of the word action.. Thanks for letting me participate.

    http://taffyscrappen.blogspot.com/2009/01/action.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi..hope you'll let me join in with this challenge...have asked to join the flickr group too...only just seen this challenge sounds right up my street...have a few art journals on the go at the mo..loving them
    Thanz Suz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving the prompts!
    You can find Action...and Because on my blog...
    http://willowthewysp.blogspot.com/2009/01/art-journal.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank God I found this!! Now I have to madly play catch up and start on "A"! haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so fun, here's mine:

    http://somewhereovertherainbowunicornsdream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://flickr.com/photos/1lara1/3298363290/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm just now getting started - better late than never! I have my 52 cards cut out and ready to start on the letter A.

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks so much for the inspriation! ij ust saw this , so i am WAY behind, and i did a Scrapbook LO, but here his teh link!
    http://scrappintrackside.blogspot.com/2009/05/got-my-mojo-back-i-think.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts