Bossy Pants Rachel

Hello!! My name is Rachel. I guess I'm what you call the boss around these here parts. While I am indeed a bossy gal, I should say right here up front, that I in no way shape or form know everything there is to know about art journals. BUT I know what I know from experience, and I'm totally sharing all that here. In 2006, I found Emily Falconbridge's Deck on ME prompts on line, and got my first taste of art journaling. While taking part in that year, I met so many amazing gals who were also just starting out in their own artful adventures. There was something amazing about being in that journey together, and knowing that we didn't have to "know it all" to enjoy the experience.

Another year or so later, I bought the book the Journal Revolution by two amazing sisters, Linda Woods and Keren Dinino. I read it, and knew I wanted to keep journaling, and share what I was learning with other people. At the time, I worked as the site manager for a scrapbooking website called TallyScrapper.com, and there was interest from the gals there to have me share journaling prompts with them. So I started a monthly art journal prompt there. In 2009, I extended my reach outside Tally, and started this blog as a place to keep my art journaling prompts.
In 2010, I reached even further, because even with 2009's amazing response, I felt that I could help others connect through art journaling even more. That's why I've created a Ning group. (Since this post, our ning group has been moved to Facebook. You can click the Community link at the top of the page to go there) It's a place for conversations and talk to be facilitated and for you all to make artful connections that you will take with you beyond this year. I hope that you will forge those same connections here this year to take with you in the years to come!! Of course, if you don't feel comfortable sharing or connecting, and want to follow along, you are welcome to that as well!!
Some things I want you all to remember as you begin or continue your journey...
  1. It's important that you remember that art journaling IS personal. There are some people out there who are of the opinion that by sharing art that is created for a personal art journal, you have made it impersonal, and it's up for shots. This isn't the case. Sharing art that is personal means that you are taking the chance that there are others out there who may feel the same way. That there may be someone who will be encouraged by that. It in NO WAY means that you have relinquished that very personal and private space a particular piece may have in your heart.
  2. Not everything you make needs to be a masterpiece. Art journaling is a time and place for exploration. It's a place to try new things. It's a place to try things out. Art journaling is not about the end result. It's about the process. I think it's especially rewarding at the end of a year to have all your experiments bundled up into something that collectively is always more beautiful to me than I imagined it could be.
  3. In an art journal, actually WRITING anything is totally optional. Most people have no idea of the meaning because there is no journaling, but when I look at those pages, I know exactly where I was and what I meant in that moment. Here are a few of the definitions of a journal. Some of my favorite pages are ones that have hidden meaning.
    • record of experiences and observations
    • a periodical dedicated to a particular subject; "he reads the medical journals"
    • a record book as a physical object
  4. HAVE FUN. That's what this is about. Explore things you've never explored!! Do things you have never done. Creativity is like any other thing. Riding a bike, learning to read, learning to write. You have to PRACTICE to be good. Everything you need to BE creative is already inside you. You just have to allow yourself the time to practice.
I'm so excited to have you on this journey with me!!
HERE'S WHAT I AM USING FOR MY JOURNAL:
I'm using a VERY old decrepit book that I found at the thrift store.. It's falling apart on all sorts of levels, and beyond repair in all sorts of ways, but the outside has beautiful detail, and the images and pages make me happy. So I'm altering the book to make an art journal!!
I'm saving this page, because it calls to me... In case you can't read the inscription it says:
"A Christmas Gift to our dear Louise 1861"
Yeah. It's that old.

The book itself was about 1 1/2 inches thick. I created thicker more sturdy pages by using 7 Gypsies Gaffer tape to bind about 7 pages at a time.

To create space for bulky items, I tore about 5 pages out of the book in between each gaffered page bundle. You can see the torn pages above.

I used a ruler to keep from tearing the pages too close to the sewing that binds the pages. That way, I don't have to worry about the bundles falling out.
ETA: I did not glue the pages together, because I wanted them to move more freely and I worried that gluing them would make them too stiff. I also worried that the stiffness would put more stress on the binding, and was looking for ways to keep that safe.

The spine of the book was missing, so I fixed that by cutting a piece of canvas and gluing it over the spine. I used Crafter's Pick glue, because it dries flexible. That will be important with all the movement the book will see from here on out.
Before spine repair:

After spine repair:

Next I decorated the outside spine by spray painting over a doily and using bubble wrap and a stamp... I added some decorations to the outside as well... I used a vintage date stamp of my grampa's to create the date on the tag.


I'll use gesso over each page before I start creating in order to be sure that the pages stay strong over the course of the year. So that's it!! A really easy way to create an art journal out of an existing book!! You could use paper or masking tape instead of gaffer tape. You could cover more than just the edge of the page bundles... the possibilities are endless. I'm looking forward to using this journal. It's the first time I've used an already bound book to make an art journal.
~rachel

All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel unless otherwise specified. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

  1. Ohnoes! Now I wish I had done this, instead! Love that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book is AWESOME! I am playing safe with a sketch book :) but this IS my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great!

    I just turned 31, eek! on tuesday, and decided to take a photo of myself every week this year (everyday is too much)...which shouldn't be too hard as I'm a photographer, and do a art journal page once a week--thanks for reminding me to get it going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you glue the pages together as well, or just tape them?
    Cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ZOM, I did not glue the pages together, because I wanted them to move more freely and I worried that gluing them would make them too stiff. I also worried that the stiffness would put more stress on the binding, and was looking for ways to keep that safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, why do i NOT see the "Get Mail" button?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you did with the cover :o) Lovely start to your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. couldnt have said it better rachel!
    you're such an inspiration for taking this one step further and creating such a magnificent community!!!!

    love the book idea :)
    and margrethe - no law against having two art journals going at the same time!

    i found i was so inspired to art journal, the twice a month prompts were not enough - i wanted to art journal more (its so addictive) so you may find yourself with two or more journals going at the same time too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, first Rachel- your hair is just flippin adorable!
    Had
    to
    be
    said!
    :)

    Love the idea of simply taping the pages together instead of gluing I've been doing.
    loverly book indeed.

    excited to begin the journey with you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel I LOVE your journal! What a great idea to tape the page together - it creates such a unique look! Beautiful work on the cover! I am sooooo excited to start our journey tomorrow! Yeayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel that book is so freaking amazing!!!!! I'm going to have to pimp mine up now as my wallyworld sketch book just won't do!!! haha Plus I couldn't have said it better myself about what the journaling journey is all about. Thanks for this amazing place for all of us to meet and hey, only 1 more sleep!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is really interesting that you didn't glue the pages, i will be very interested to see how that works out - if the gesso wrinkles etc. It is a cool look. and the thought of gluing all those pages is pretty boring.

    I thought of another advantage (maybe) could be that you could hide the other side of stitching or eyelets or brads in the other pages. But maybe not if it is already taped...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been said except for this...Yummo on the gaffer tape.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that the book is getting a new lease of life. The cover is great I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ADORE art journaling in old books... I have two art journals going like this... I glued the pages together but using tape sure looks beautiful... can't wait to see how that's gonna look at the end! LOVE your book and yes, that first page should be kept intact... my idea too! And in Holland it's Friday... first prompt coming up today!!! WOHWEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing the how-to! =)

    Oh gosh, definitely have to get a move-on in making mine. =p

    *hugs*
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  18. That book is gorgeous!! I'm using an old book too, but it doesn't have as much character. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way it turned out! I just placed an order with 7gypsies, darn, I wish I'd ordered some of that gaffer tape too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out great. I have heard of a few people using spray paint. Are you talking about the regular spray paint you can buy at Walmart? If you spray it on a page how does it do for writing on?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Free bird, I did use regular spray paint like you can get at WalMart. There are artist grade paints available if you're interested, tho!! I haven't sprayed a page yet, so I don't know how it does with writing that I know of. Can't think of a time I've tried writing over it. I would imagine with dry paint and say a sharpie, you'd be fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE that old book and thanks for sharing how and why you altered it as you have... brilliant!! I am really enjoying the journalling this year - and I am so glad you also said that one doesn't have to write anything on the pages. I get annoyed with people who have such set rules... Sometimes I just sketch and then a page will appear - or not!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great book Rachel, i've done a bit of altering but not created the whole journal that way yet... its exciting to transform an old book into a new place to dream and write, i like it! i really check old books out now, seeing so many uses for them..

    thanks will check out the other updates too, inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. RACHEL: I am so excited to have found this site. I am anxious to get started on the next prompt. I love the way you decorated the cover of your journal. I'm glad to hear you kept the dedication page.
    GAYLE: I have also been using a sketch book but don't like how the pages turn and I can't lay the pages flat. I was thinking of using cardstock or canvas, not made up my mind yet.
    CHELSEA: I love the idea of a photo a week. I just bought a Canon T3i and am so excited to start using it. I might have to include my family members and start doing this.
    FREEBIRD AND RACHEL: I use alcohol inks in a tiny spray bottle as a substitute for spray paint. It comes is dozens of colors and can be mixed to creat new colors. Only glitch is that you can only spray it on nonporous surfaces, like photo paper.
    RACHEL: Sorry this was such a long comment, but I'm really excited to start interacting with other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  25. lol Thanks for taking time to get all your excitement out HERE, where I could read it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you recommend getting the book you mentioned if you are new to art journaling? Is it worth the money?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Howdy Rachel,

    Excellent tutorial - great way to start an art journal. Very inspirational. I'm gonna try this taping technique. I usualy glue my pages together - but your method looks WAY easier and QUICKER!

    Would love for you to visit my blog when you have a moment or 2.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Peae,
    LuLu
    www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Are you still working on projects?

    www.rachelsjunkinthetrunk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts