Artful Amblings Sept 30th

*Also published on TallyScrapper.com.
This week, Lara is sharing a prompt with us! It's AMAZING. Of course, I think EVERYTHING Lara touches turns to gold... so. There's that. :)
Light.

If there ever was a word that could have so many definitions...
Hope, Spirituality, Love, Dawn, Depression, Happiness, Discovery, Fire, Energy, Radiance...
As I sat and thought about what the word means to me I thought about the darkness I've recently experienced in my life and how i finally feel like i'm coming out of it. And one of my favorite songs, ever, kept popping into my head repeatedly as I stared at my blank page - It's a song by the Beastie Boys called "Namasté" about discovery (holy crap if you get stuck on this one realize there are millions of songs about the subject of light for inspiration!)

For my technique I did something i haven't done in forever. If you're like me you save or collect paper of any sort - I have two full totes of scrapped paper - so i decided to "paint with paper." You could call it collage, I guess, but it's more abstract.

I chose all dark papers, some with texture, some with dark images, and tore them into itty bitty pieces. Then i mixed some black acrylic paint (since this was the color paper i was using) with Gel Medium and got to painting with my paper.

Through in some duct tape and a meaningful quote from the song that kept swirling my head
and voila - an art journal page i can actually meditate on.
I cant wait to see you you all interpret this word! It just blows my mind at how many ways to think about it are!

~lara
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel unless otherwise specified. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

Popular Posts