2012 Whatever and Whatnot

Are you ready for the new year, and a new set of prompts!?
OH
EM
GEE.
I'm really REALLY excited about this year. Not only OUR prompts, but some others that are out there!! (I'm getting ahead of myself.) I'm super excited about the focus of our prompts this year as well!!
Perhaps you've been hearing of the "newly" popular SMASHBOOKS?
Funny how they have been around for EVER. We've just all known them under different names, and without branding. Maybe you remember them?
My personal favorite is the TRAVEL JOURNAL.
I've read that some people call them JUNK JOURNALS.
No matter what you CALL them, we're USING them. lol
There are some PEOPLE out there, that like to draw lines in the sand. They like to make rules out of nothing... maybe you're one of them. Maybe you didn't even REALIZE you were following rules set out by other people. This year, we're going to be all about undoing the "rules" the rules that draw a line between scrapbooking and art journaling. I'd really like to challenge the idea that scrapbooking and art journaling have to be separate things. We're going to use "Smashbooks". We're going to use "Travel Journals" and "Junk Journals"... we're going to collect memories and tidbits, and we're going to cram them into an arty page and splash paint or some other thing over them. We're going to use whatever we want to. Acid free or not. We're going to take a journey. A journey of Whatever and Whatnot.

Our prompts this year will look something like THIS:
THE PROMPT: A word of phrase prompt. Daily routines. Lists about the little things that make you happy. Maybe one about your pet peeves.
We're taking on a positive journaling twist as often as possible this year, but we're reserving the right to create something with a little angst as well. :)
Let's say this year's focus is on documenting things. Good, Bad, Everyday, Extraordinary...
THE STUFF: We'll prompt you with some THINGS to add to your page. receipts, photos, tokens, tickets... the bits and pieces that "create" the scrapbook part of the page. Think about using your "scrapping" items on pages... alphabet stickers, patterned paper, etc.
THE TECHNIQUE: Lastly, we'll challenge you to an "art journaling" technique!

As usual, you are welcome to pick all or just one or two of the prompts. The point will be that you take the prompts and make them YOURS. That means giving you some elbow room. You know, Whatever...
Here's some past Travel Journals for your inspiration
My trip to Disney

A memory book my mom made about a summer visit with one of my boys:

And this year, I've made three journals! One for me, two for YOU!!
Here's mine, and the all have the guts as listed on the right of the photos. :)

Along with the journals, I have a packet of Whatnots in addition to the journals! I made enough of those to sell a couple separate from the journals.
JOURNALS AND KITS ARE FOR SALE IN MY SHOP!!


Guest Host Lizzie just recently created a blog post about how she made her own version of a Smashbook! CHECK IT OUT
~rachel
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

  1. Rachel, this sounds great! I hope I'll get to participate this year. I could really use some good smash book/junk journaling in my life! Thanks for continuing to do this challenge, I know it's a lot of work but I'm sure it helps a lot of people keep the creative juices flowing. You're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna try and do this this year :) (Your links to Pinterest aren't working. Maybe it's just them?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds right up my alley! It's been a while since I participated, but I'm hoping to join in again this year. I have half a dozen 'junk' journals I've made lying around; its about time to get some use out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mom! I fixed the link with a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea and I am really looking forward to this year of art journaling. Making it more personal is perfect. I like to think that someday my kids will look back at my art journals and realize that their Mom was "more than".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just discovered smash books and LOVE the idea! I do think they are a great mix between scrapping and journaling..an awesome concept! Looking forward to the prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *happy dancing while flinging paint & glitter around*
    This sounds AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How often are the pronts given? Once a month, bi-weekly, whenever you feel like it? New to this, this year so just curious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Rachel this sounds fabulous and fun! I've missed being part of this group and look forward to participating again! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both art Journaling and smash books :) great post

    -Jillian
    www.jillian-Xenia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts