Artful Amblings Jan 30th

*Also published on TallyScrapper.com.
This Prompt comes to you from Glenda Tkalac!!
I didn't have to think for long about what word I wanted to prompt you all with because it's been a word that I have clung to for quite a few years. The word is "hope".
HOPE
In the dictionary one of the definitions of hope is defined as:
The general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of her troubles she never gave up hope".

I love that word because without hope we become hopeless. Sometimes hope has gotten me through some very tough times and if I would have lost it (hope) I would have come undone. At times it was a life preserver that kept me afloat. So in honor of this amazing word I created 2 journal pages using a stencil that you can also make yourself!


TECHNIQUE TO TRY:
I looovveee stencils and masks. You can buy a package of 3 - 8 x 10 blank stencils which I found at Walmart for under $4. Also make sure you have a nice sharp kraft knife.

Here is the stencil I dowloaded for free

and I placed a blank stencil on top of it and traced it with an American Crafts Slick Writer (you will need a marker that is permanent so it dries super fast and doesn't smudge)

Now you want to carefully cut the image out of the blank stencil using your kraft knife and make sure you have something under your work space so you don't mark up your desk!

When you are done cutting you will have both a positive and a negative image and I will show you how I used both. There will be a little piece from in between the birds legs and the branch that you won't want to lose for when you use the negative image. I just tape the little piece to the big stencil.

Using the positive stencil image of the birds I traced them onto some sheet music and then cut it out.

Here are just a couple pictures of my page in progress using various other stencils, Glimmer Mists, liquid watercolors, paint, Golden light moulding paste, stamps, gaffer tape, etc..

I love seeing how a page progresses from start to finish!! Here is my other page that I made using the negative stencil of the birds. I placed it onto my page and then used blue Glimmer Mist to spray inside of the stencil and the journaled with a white Sharpie.

Since I am also a scrapper (not a fighter like some people think when my husband tells them that's what I do! haha) I love using patterned paper, stamps, die cuts, gaffer tape, ribbons, overlays, anything and everything goes! Don't be afraid to use whatever you want on your pages because that's the fun part! So run out and get some blank stencils and let me see your imagination run free!

Thank you to Rachel for giving me the honor of guesting here and I am so looking forward to playing along with you all this year and being a part of this again. I can hardly wait to see your pages everyone!
~glenda

All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel unless otherwise specified. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!
Images and content in this post are copyright Glenda Tkalac.

Comments

  1. Thanks Glenda, for this marvelous prompt! I will be chewing on it for a while... but misting and masking wouldn't be a problem for me so I might actually go back to my former routine and have my spray ink on the table...!!! We'll see..

    ReplyDelete
  2. me,myself and i are very happy Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful!! I love the masking and stenciling, inking and painting. love how you used the punchenella as a maks.

    Wonderful prompt, and delicious work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Glenda how fun! I didn't know you could get blank stencils at Wal-Mart! My wheels are turning!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration - can't wait to get started!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Glenda! I'm so excited to start making my own stencils since I'm addicted to them of late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful Glenda!!! and i'm excited for this prompt. i don't know when i'll get my done but the wheels are already turning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will give me a chance to use the book of graffiti stencils I got on sale a while back. I suppose you could use quilter's template plastic as well, which I also have on hand. Thanks so much for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Glenda so beautiful - love how you used the stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh LOVE this page! Your layering is fab...love the colors. Can't wait to get my INKS out and my hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous as always Glenda! Love the stencil you made here! such gorgeous pages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glenda - how do you use the liquid watercolors? do they have a spray top, because they look like they don't?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you did with this. I recently did something similar using one of my stamps and font to make the silhouette. I love the idea of the birds. So cool. I mean there are so many free dingbats out there. I just downloaded some deer ones that would work really well for this. Love your page. ITs gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your page! Its gorgeous!! Awesome tutorial! I am for sure going to make my own stencils now, Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Lara, the liquid watercolors can be purchased at Michaels craft store in the kids section (some of the best stuff can be found there! haha) and no there is no spray top so I dip a wet paintbrush into them. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome prompt Glenda and I totally love your page and your tutorial!Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great prompt, Glenda!

    Being a fellow scrapping (also not the "fighting" kind! Ha!) I always say that every craft I used to do led me to what I call 'scrap-art'. And one of those crafts was stenciling. And, darn, if I didn't used to cut my own stencils. So, how great to see this technique highlighted. The thoughts of using it have sent my head swimming with ideas for "hope".

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Glenda! Where do you download your pics you use for your stencils from? A google search? I make a lot of my own stencils myself. I am always on the hunt for more sources. Thanks Brian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glenda, you are freakin' brilliant. :) Great work! Thanks for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Phenomenal page !!! Love your choice of stencil (& Mask!). And of course, your prompt - wonderful. So glad to have found your blog !I will be back. Cheers !~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your pages GLenda as always! Your work is so striking and always makes me want to go play and create. Thanks for the great prompt; here's my take!
    http://oneyearartjournal.ning.com/photo/prompt-2-i-hope

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved doing this prompt!Thanks Glenda!
    Here's my take
    http://jeanetk.blogspot.com/2010/02/hope-and-two-of-kind.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. And here is my contribution;

    http://www.missmarple70.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreatives-wochenende-creative-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glenda, this is just so beautiful. Thanks so much for the tutorial too!

    Here's mine:
    http://creatinginsolitude.blogspot.com/2010/02/royal-kat-tuesday-sketch-challenge.html

    =)

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome work Glenda!
    Here's mine:
    http://thepickyprincess.blogspot.com/2010/02/sicky.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I love those. This was a great prompt and my very first Art Journal page. Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=200342&user_id=15034

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remebered this time!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos25086269@N06/435102856/in/set-72157617329435682/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I got mine done! Here's a link:

    http://inspirationeverywhere.blogspot.com/2010/02/updates-all-around.html

    Thanks for the inspiration Glenda!

    I'm excited to see what's next for us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I played along! First two prompts completed here:

    http://messymindcreativesoul.blogspot.com/2010/02/year-in-life-of-art-journal.html

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. never too late :)

    http://todreamoutloud.blogspot.com/2010/02/hope-art-journal-page.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts