Monday Mugshot Collaboration

View the 2013 prompts HERE! 

It's TIME!! Time to let all of you in on what we're up to this year!!
Here's the deal. As your fearless leader, I have found that I have been behind so many times here at A Year in the Life of an Art Journal, and that I personally have been using a lot of photos for my creativity. That's OK! It's what I love about the prompts here. I encourage you all to do WHATEVER you want in response to our prompts! I'm always SAYING that it's more important to DO SOMETHING. This year, one of my goals is to live slowly. 
Recently, I created a page on Facebook, called Monday Mugshots. "We want your mugshots! Post photos of your coffee, tea or even beer mugs here every Monday! At your computer, in the sink, with your cat, or simply all on its own." This year, for A Year in the Life of an Art Journal, we will be collaborating with Monday Mugshots!! My vision is, that at the end of it all, you will have a coffee table art journal! I plan to use Blurb to print my mugshots, and those of you following the BOOKER part of our prompts will be able to incorporate your mug shots into your art journal!

Here's what the year will look like:
WEEKLY: (or just after the 15th and 30th) The SHOOTERS
We will share photos on Facebook. We hope you will too!
15th and 30th/MONTHLY: The BOOKERS
Glenda will be hosting a CREATIVE prompt for an art journal/coffee table book! Fans of A Year in the Life of an Art Journal will be able to share photos of their mugshots, and create an art journal for their coffee table with "mug" themed prompts mixed in. :) I think it would be cool to print out a mugshot, and use it on an art journal page.
 PROMPT EXAMPLE
PROMPT: The THEME of the prompt will go here. You can shoot your mug and/or create your page based on this theme.
SHOOTERS: There will be instructions for how to shoot your mug here. Using the THEME take a picture of your mug for FB.
BOOKERS:  There will be instructions for creating an art journal page here. Glenda is helping me come up with creative technique to use or try on an art journal page. 

I thought, since this project is so different from what we've done before, that I would post a "practice" prompt for you to see! Ready?
   
THE PROMPT: Power up? Relaxation.
SHOOTERS:
Shoot your mugshot in a setting the tells the story of whether or not your mug (morning, tea time, or 5:00 somewhere) helps you power up for the day, or creates a space of calm in the midst of chaos.
BOOKERS:
Use texture on a page to show your power or your calm. Journal a bit about what taking time for your mug of choice does for you.



Check out the things my awesome guest hosts came up with!! 

LINDA

I've made lots of texture on the page with gesso, masking and mist.

LIZZIE
There is nothing like a little calm before the storm.  Morning coffee to get my head right while making my To-Do list for the day.   
GLENDA
I did both parts of this prompt,took a pic of my beer in it's Ed Hardy beer cozy that my mom got me as well as journaled about my beverage of choice! 
Here is my beer in it's cozy:

and here is my journal page about how there is nothing better than a nice cold Coors Light to kick back and enjoy!




I used lots of patterned papers, paint, glimmer mists, molding paste, stamps, stickers and rhinestones!

SUMAIYAH

"Stay calm amongst the chaos and drink Pumpkin Spice Lattes..."



Journal page composition:

Medium bodied acrylic paints randomly drizzled on the page. Stiff bristle brush to smear the paint around and create texture. "Smushed" the pages together to create further texture -- peaks and valleys. Journalled on a piece of scrapbook paper, which I distressed the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink and adhered to pages with matte gel medium. Used TH Tissue Tape for two corners, also distressed with DI, and adhered. Cup of Pumpkin Spice joe! 20 oz -- the more the merrier LOL!!

I enjoy having a cup of coffee each morning. It wakes me up and gets my "motor" running for the day. I also enjoy having a cup while relaxing in the Art Journal Love Studio and creating. Soothing, warm and flavorful, relaxing and satisfying -- the perfect icing to an art journaling session cake!

JEN

Okay, it just freaked me out to type 2013...

Here is my shooter contribution to power up/relaxation. I pretty much start out most mornings this way. After my husband and daughter leave for work and school, I park myself in front of my computer with my coffee and check emails, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. and plan my day out.

Looking at this shot I realize the biggest to do today is to clean my desk off. Ugh. What a mess. Not that the rest of the room (alright, house) isn't a mess as well, but I figure if I can get this one area straightened up, I'll feel a little bit better about myself. 


REBECCA
I chose to do both parts of the prompts, seeing that I am an iPhone photography nut and I have been journaling for almost four years now!



One of the first things I do in the morning is go down stairs and make my favorite drink which is a combination of mocha coffee and hot chocolate! Its just enough to get me up and going! Plus that mug would make anyone happy! Its the perfect way to prepare for another crazy day!

I started scrapbooking at least twelve years ago but I find so much joy in art journaling so anytime I can combine the two I am one happy lady! My journal right now is made out of a file folder and lots of fun papers! I started out using a combo of gesso and pink paint added my two photos. I used my favorite stencil and used molding paste and wet paint and kinda sloshed them all together! Added some washi tape and stickers and voila done!
NOW IT'S YOUR TURN!!  (the "actual" prompt for this month will be up on the 15th)
 The rules
  1. Use all or just one of the prompts.
  2. MAKE THEM YOURS. These prompts are IDEAS. They are not set in stone. I do encourage you to stretch yourself. If you find a prompt doesn't speak to you, think on it. Find a way to MAKE it speak to you, and go with that. 
  3. You do NOT have to be a coffee drinker to play along! Tea, Water, Beer or the Hard Stuff. WE DON'T CARE!! Make the prompts work for you and your mug.
  4. There is NO right or wrong.
  5. Share your feedback positively. ABSOLUTELY no judging of what others share. (If I find that people aren't following this rule, I will remove links left by that person.)
  6. This is a place for you to explore! It doesn't matter if you've just gotten here in the middle of the year, or if you've gotten "behind" and don't create every day. It doesn't matter if you don't create at ALL... (although we'd love it if you do)  
  7. Add your link to what you book or shoot in the comments here for easy visiting and sharing!! Be sure to add a DIRECT LINK. (you can get this most times by clicking on the title of your post, and then copying the URL.) General links to websites will be deleted (because they make it hard for people to follow behind and find the post pertaining to this prompt) ALSO, links leading to posts that do not make it clear how they are related to the prompts will be removed. 
~rachel
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

  1. I assume that if we never drink anything from a mug... we can substitute whatever our drinking habit is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping Nancy is correct. I'm a diet coke addict. Must have ice even at breakfast. Can't do a journal page without a diet coke near by, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a MT Dew girl myself. I used love coffee, it no longer loves me. I have an ICE COLD Mt Dew every morning.

      Delete
  3. The more I think about this theme the more it's making my creativeness stir. I'm thinking of hitting a used book store for some sort of hard cover book with a theme like coffee, drinks, pottery, etc. gutting it and rebinding it with scrappy papers to use as my journal pages. I do have a lot of fun mugs and cups. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy!! I love that idea!! I've been browsing the links you left from last year... I can't wait to see what you end up doing this year! :)

      Delete
    2. Rachel thank you so much for all the lovely comments on Flickr! What an awesome suprise. I actually made my journal today, but still need to make one or two modifications to the cover. I'll be sure to leave a link when it's ready. :)

      Delete
    3. You're so welcome! I had a really great time browsing through your set yesterday!

      Delete
  4. I love my morning coffee...actually I love my ANYTIME coffee LOL! I'm excited about do this this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing what you create with us this year, Julia!

      Delete
  5. It's going to be a fun year, can't wait to see everyone's take on the prompts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.flickr.com/photos/89402149@N03/8369891839/

    Here is my first Mugshot Monday. It took me until today to get it out of my camera and into flikr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really looking forward to participating this year. Had a rough 2012 and it kept me away from posting (not journaling or creating) but I am so glad to see familiar names and faces. You girls are true blue! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi, Elena! I'm sorry I didn't see your comment until now! Thanks for the reminder! You don't HAVE to sign up to play, but if you'd like to, you can do that here: http://oneyearartjournal.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-sign-ups.html

      Delete
  9. http://www.flickr.com/photos/25193940@N02/8430297196/in/set-72157628904470005/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this page ... Looking forward to viewing previous prompts and participating in the future prompts :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts